From:
Paul Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 19:49:16 GMT
Hello Michael,

We produce a lot of press fit backplanes with both Reflow and HASL finish. If
the sectioning shows irregular solder build up, this does not sound like reflow
which tends to be more regular than HASL. There is always a tendency for the
solder to thicken at the centre of the hole due to surface tension and it is
important to control the thickness at plating. 0.0004" (10 microns)is usually
ideal. We generally find that reflow is more consistent for maintaining hole
size as HASL can leave more solder in some holes than others. Reflow is also the
cheapest finish and provides the best protection for the traces if the solder
mask should get damaged in the field.

On your numbered points:-
1) I believe Ni/Au could be a problem because solder acts as a lubricant and gas
tight seal for press fit and electroless nickel is brittle and could break-up; I
would like to hear from any experts in the field about this aspect.
2) Impedance on inner layer striplines will not be affected by surface finish
but there could be a small effect on surface microstrips between Reflow and
SMOBC. Has anyone made any measurements of this?
3) There is nothing wrong with your spec and it may be that the hole size
problem has arisen from using an inappropriate drill size, or poor plating
distribution. Copper plate thickness is more commonly the cause coupled with odd
finished hole sizes and tolerances for which appropriate drill sizes are not
available.
4) Hole size tolerance would be standard at +/- 0.002" and should be no problem.

Final thoughts, if you are checking hole sizes with pin gauges you cannot use  a
pin gauge which is at the bottom limit. I would suggest 0.5 thou" below bottom
limit as a go/no-go.
Are you sure your press-fit pins have not changed or are out of tolerance? We
found this happened on more than one occassion.

Paul Gould
Teknacron Circuits,UK
E-mail [log in to unmask]