From:
"George Franck Jr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 15:08:40 -0500
Gary,

I have struggled with this issue often.  Will the assembly ever see a
wave solder machine?  Then tent vias which are located under components,
where solder ball could be formed.  With the wave, you can cap the
solder side and leave the top side open, assuming you do not top-side
flux.

Tenting both sides backs you into Dryfilm soldermask, or a 100% plug (as
recently 'advertised' by John Gulley).

If you do not wave solder, I do not know of a reason to tent vias... No,
there was one..  Consideration for a vacuum test machine, and sticking
test probes.  (Do the test probes really get stuck in a via holes, held
there by the vacuum?  Or have I been sold a bill of goods?)

--- Forwarded mail from [log in to unmask]