From:
[log in to unmask] (Howard Feldmesser)
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 13:21:02 -0500
>Is it true that with flying probe testing that you test only one net at a time?
>
>If so, how do you know if you have a short between nets?
>
>Doesn't bed-of-nails testing also test for shorts between nets?
>
>Jim Marsico
        Flying probe testers first put their probes at the ends of the
nets, one net at a time, to check continuity.  Then they put one probe on
the first net and then the second probe goes to net 2 and then net 3 ... to
net n and an "anti-continuity" check is made from each net to net 1.  The
first probe then shifts to net 2 and the second probe goes to net 3, then
4, then ... making the anti-continuity checks for net 2 to all other nets..
This takes time, obviously, but there is no fixture as others have pointed
out.  We also directly couple our CAD output to our tester so there's no
reentering of data required.
        Howard Feldmesser
        The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory