TECHNET Archives

February 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Feb 2002 08:12:54 -0600
Folks,

Thanks first to all who have been helping. I wish to note this ceramic thing
got started three weeks ago when I first came abord. Our very astute EE
types told me they were having trouble with their assembly house effecting
any type solder joint at all on the ceramic parts. The assembly house
belived these parts to be ceramic as well. I didn't start my investigation
into the actual parts until a couple of days ago and found what Steve did.

The parts are plastic BGA's (CSP's) with an aluminum lid or heat sink. I
asked Steve to post some more dirty pics fo the device's top side pointing
to the X version as a prototype with which we had all the initial problems
as balls falling of as received parts and sticking to "soldered" boards.

The images are not the best with my handy littl Intel Play microscope. Wish
they made a more serious version. I'd sure snap it up for serious money.

Another photo shows the part with the no ball condition. Werner, any more
thoughts about this?

Yet another photo shows the aluminum lid I crudely separated from the
structure with a scalpel. Sure a lot of goop!

The interesting photo, to me, is of the die attched to the PCB substrate. I
would ask experts out there, like big Joe F., to tell me how this attachment
is made. The substrate cuts, as it should, like BT or some other MLB
material. Does the die have bumps on it as a flip chip and is it bonded to
the substrate via soldering or?

What really is intriguing, beyond the initial part ball falling off and not
soldering issue, is how hard can it be to solder this little beast? I doubt
not too hard at all in a qualified assembly house. Also, if the die is
bumped, what about the CTE mismatch between it (Silicon at 3 ppm) and the
PCB substrate to which it is mounted?

I appreciate your attention,

Earl Moon