From:
Michael Barmuta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:43:14 -0800
	To:dhickey
		I've been off on vacation and just got back,which allowed me
		to read this thread at one sitting.At the risk of aleinating
		the readers of this net with even more stuff on peeling
		soldermask and because you've been so cooperative in answer
		ing questions so far let me ask a few more.
		1.What is the topside temp of the board just prior to enter
		ing the wave/temp of the wave/time in the wave?
		2.Are these boards processed thru other high temp operations
		i.e. reflow prior to flowsolder or run over the wave more
		than once?
		3.Which side(s)of the boards is the mask coming off?
		4.Where is it coming off; groundplanes,circuits,laminate,
		same general area,random etc.?
		5.Is the type/supplier of the mask common to all three
		fabricators?
		6.Have you measured the thickness of the mask in the areas it
		is coming off?

		If I were to pre-quess your answers and hypothesis it would
		be this:The mask is coming off the bottom side of the board
		in medium to larger metal areas.The mask could be thin
		(<0.6 mils)in these locations.If using a low solids or
	  	or no clean flux that sees excessive preheat or dries
		out prior to passing over the wave it provides minimal
		thermal protection and or lubricity.This can result in
		delamination of the mask from the copper in these thinner
		weaker areas.Just a guess.

					Regards
					Michael Barmuta
					Staff Enguneer