From:
"Wally Doeling (wallyd)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 1996 08:40:00 -0800
	We have been using Immersion gold in press-fit applications for two
years with excellent results.  The mating connectors have both gold
and Solder finish on the press-fit leads.  There is a lot of
immersion gold press-fit going on in Europe for the past 4 years or
so with excellent results.
	With any solder finish, you will find a lot of variability in hole
sizes.  HAL doesn't help this much as it has the same problem and the
hole size change varies by the hole diameter.
	I suspect that you never did get good hole diameter control, but it
was not detected!
	With immersion gold we are able to spec a +- .002 on very thick
boards and this is what we received!  This is on a .155 thick board!
	Note:  the extra solder probably will not give you a problem with
press-fit as it is displaced when the press-fit connector is
inserted.

	There is no way to control HAL, or reflowed solder for good hole
diameter control!  The only way I have seen is to put so little
solder on the board that the normal
spec for solder thickness is violated!