From:
"Thad McMillan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 May 95 11:15:14 CST
If you desire to tin lead plate the fingers, probally the whole board would be
tin/lead plated.  The problem with tin/lead plate for an SMT board is the
soldermask.  One of the main advantages of HASL is you can use soldermask in
conjuction with it much easier.  This is because with HASL the soldermask is
put on prior to HASL.  For a Tin/Lead plated board the soldermask is put on
after tin/lead plate.  Thus normally on a Tin/Lead plated board if you use
soldermask the soldermask will be over tin lead.  This is usually considered a
problem for several reasons, the main of which is that soldermask doesn't like
to stick to tin lead during reflow at the assy house.

To put soldermask on a tin/lead plated board properly you need to first strip
the tin lead from the circuitry you want covered with soldermask.  This
selective strip process can be done by many PCB suppliers, but at a premium,
usually about 5% of board cost.

The plus side of a tin/lead plated surface is much more consistant and level
than HASL.  A example of when it is used is board for TAB components.  TAB
devices require a very controlled amount of tin/lead on the TAB footprint.
Most assembly houses needing to bond TAB components to boards require tin/lead
plated boards with selective striping of tin/lead where the soldermask is.

Another disadvantage of tin/lead plated board is it is slightly more difficult
to etch a tin/lead plated board.  For tin/lead plated boards the tin/lead
serves as a etch resist.  The tin/lead is typically about a half a mil thick.
This leads to a shadow effect at etch.  HASL boards usually use a much thinner
tin plating as a etch resist with less shadow.

Surface finish for contact fingers and for component mounting is such a
critical part of a PCB I wonder if the IPC would consider (if they haven't
already) making a Surface Finish specifation listing all of the available
types of finishes with their advantanges and disadvantages.
Hope this helps,

Dell Computer

FROM: BRUCE HOUGHTON  27/552/844/TOR
*** Resending note of 05/11/95 11:12
Phone  (416) 448-5701     Tie 778-5701
Subject: Tin/lead plating vs HAL
Doug,
Tin/lead plated (and reflowed) tabs over nickel will give a very
consistent and controlled thickness of solder over the tabs.
HASL is difficult to control for both thickness and uniformity.
Tin/lead plate and reflow tabs may cost a little more.

Bruce Houghton
Celestica, Inc
> Date: Thu, 11 May 1995 06:47:38 EDT
> From: [log in to unmask] (MR DOUGLAS C JEFFERY)

-- [ From: Douglas C. Jeffery * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

I recently had a customer inquire about the advantages or disadvantages
of using tin/lead plating over HAL for a connector application (SIMMs).
We have been 100% HAL for several years and I couldn't really answer
his question other than to say we don't have a tin/lead bath...So..Are
there any thoughts as to one method being preferred over the other?
(note. the question is about the insertion tabs not component
attachment, and he currently is not using ni/au).

Thanks for any insight.

Doug Jeffery
Electrotek, Inc.
414-762-1390