TECHNET Archives

April 2002

Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 19:24:52 EDT
Hi Mark!

Here's another *.PDF from Kemet that is pretty good:

http://www.kemet.com/KEMET/web/homepage/kechome.nsf/vapub
files/f2106/$file/f2106.pdf

I know it's a long filename, but type it in without any spaces...it talks
about MLC capacitor flex cracking...what happens with depanelizing.

One thing I must say though, a third, a third, and a third is pretty generic
when specifying scores. Yeah, that works a lot of the time, but it can burn
you more times than you would like...score depth really depends on laminate
lay-up, how the glass fibers are oriented to each other within each layer,
etc.

Also, one needs to verify that what you asked for is actually done. I've
ordered fabs from a shop that specified a score (the general 1/3, 1/3, and a
1/3) and found out after we populated the assemblies, the score was 1/3 on
one side, but barely kissed the surface on the other. So there I was with an
exacto-knife going back over the scores so I could singulate the boards
without fracturing parts...not fun. Luckily, this wasn't a high volume board.

-Steve Gregory-