TECHNET Archives

November 2000

From:
Dwight Mattix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 09:55:49 -0800
At 07:56 PM 11/29/2000 +0800, michael wrote:
>Shirley:
>
>My $0.02:
>
>1. Surprised that you're using 7628 on a mobile phone.

<fwiw> Frequently the keypad in cellphones is on a separate simple
doublesided or 4 layer with much lower density than the
mainboard.  Depending on the mechanical design the keypad will need some
stiffness (ergo thickness).

Of course, cost pressures are intense in cell phones when volume is 20K/day
and higher so you'll see a push to use lot of  7628 to minimize material
cost.  Save a nickel and you save several million $US per year.

I don't know what your nominal thickness is but we've had many cost
sensitive 2 and 4 layer stackups that were 7628 in the center but with a
1080 against the foil to give better/best surface smoothness.

Hope that helps clarify some...

regards,
Dwight

>  These are normally
>thinnish boards, so 7628 would not be our first choice of dielectric.
>2. Theory is: 7628 shouldn't be used next to outer layers, as the thick weave
>may cause uneven copper surface and ugly weave exposure-like phenomena. It
>shouldn't be used next to a lot of inner layers either, as its low resin
>content
>doesn't fill copper-free areas very well. Did the customer approve use of
>7628?
>3. 2116 would be better, or 2125. Is build not specified?
>4. I don't think there are any relevant specifications, but experience works
>quite well. Fact is, 7628 is a filler, and should be used sparingly, on
>low-cost
>applications.

It's a mobile phone so by definition it is a low cost application.