From:
Michael Branning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 18:04:58 -0500
My company is working on our first SMT designs. We would like to minimize
our usage of different size components. Our boards will have components on
one side only, and will not be extremely dense with passives, except for a
switching power supply section. I would like to hear some opinions on
choosing the 1206 or 0805 package for our bypass caps and typical resistors.
Manufacturability, procurement, and ease of layout are the big factors in
this choice. Volumes are not such that price is a significant factor. We
will be assembling the boards with a Fritsch semi-auto machine and soldering
with a Lovell convection oven.

Another question - we'll use a few resistor networks, too. Any thoughts on
SOIC type packages vs chip resistor arrays with regards to cost,
availability, and manufacturability?

Thanks!

Michael Branning
Avtec, Inc.