From:
Bob Neves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 13:03:44 -0700
At 12:39 PM 8/27/96 -0400, you wrote:
>When producing multi layer PCBs to MIL-P-55110 we have historically used a
>"cap" build.,as the
>interpretation was that to use a "foil" build we would have to get approval
>under MIL-P-13949,a laminate
>spec.. Is this the general concensus or are people using foil builds against
>the 55110 spec??
>Regards
>               Paul Greene

MIL-P-55110E Amendment 1 states:

3.6.4.8  Surface peel strength (type 3 foil laminated printed wiring
boards).  After undergoing the test specified in 4.8.4.8, the surface
conductor shall withstand a minimum peel strength of 5 pounds per inch of
width.  This requirement is only applicable to foil laminated type 3 printed
wiring boards that have surface conductors or surface mount lands.  Pad only
printed wiring boards do not require peel strength testing.

4.8.4.8  Surface peel strength (type 3 foil laminated printed wiring boards)
(see 3.6.4.8).  The peel strength shall be inspected in accordance with IPC
TM 650, method 2.4.8, except that the after thermal stress condition and
after exposure to processing chemicals tests shall not be performed.  Plated
tin lead, solder coating, or other plated metallic resist shall be
chemically removed prior to test or shall be prevented from being deposited
during manufacturing.  The test specimen shall not be coated with any
organic coating for test.  All peel strength readings obtained shall meet
the minimum requirement.

----------------

This Surface Peel Strength test is performed during Group B Testing, and
coupons are submitted with your normal Monthly Groub B samples.  There is no
additional requirement involving MIL-S-13949.  For a free copy of a
MIL-P-55110E or  incorporating amendment 1 or MIL-S-13949, please feel free
to download it from our WWW site at "http://www.TheTestLab.com"

Bob Neves
Director of Technical Services
MICROTEK LABORATORIES