TECHNET Archives

October 2001

Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:48:08 -0400
10/18/2001

Anyone out there have any information on using ultrasonics for cleaning of a daughter-board PWA that has BGA soldered in place.  I recall in the old military days, ultrasonic cleaning was a no-no because of fear of destroying electrical bonds within individual parts.  I know times have changed and some folks allow use of ultrasonics.  J-STD-001 allows it subject to the supplier proving documentation that there will be no mechanical damage or electrical problems.  What ultrasonic cleaning process paramaters do we need to control?  Any specific process details would be appreciated.  Any good technical reference documents would also help.  Please respond to Les Bogert  [log in to unmask]