From:
simon.ipc.org!pbni.attmail.com!PBN!PBN1!JMcGee (John McGee)
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:57:00 +0000

Mel-

Thanks for the info!

Yes, I can certainly see that the meniscus would prohibit wetting.  And,
especially,
in the worst of all situations - meniscus in the solder joint when in a
single sided
board application - the premature failure over time and temperature extremes
seems quite likely.
What I'm also concerned about, though, - and this is the predominate debate
point, here - involves potentially compromised PTH's, when the meniscus
in the holes is allowed.  Won't the partial blockage of the hole create a
potential
entrapment of flux gases or residues?  And, if that is so, it seems like at
least
two problems may result: 1 ) a diminished area of wetting inside the PTH
(and
therefore a weaker mechanical junction of less current carrying capability)
and
2) the potential for a breakdown of that hole plating due to either
corrosion or
expansion and contraction of the trapped materials (or would it be due to
the
relative differences in TCEs of the plated hole and the trapped materials?).
A third possiblity might include the breakdown due to increased heat
generated
at these highly resistive pockets.

I know it sounds like I'm answering my own question, but I haven't seen any
reports or articles that back me up.  I'm questioning my own paranoia, I
guess.

Y'see, if those points are valid, then the justification for the spacing is
self-evident.
If not, well....Good!  I can relax a little.
So, am I out to lunch on this or what?
Lunch?  Oops, gotta go.
Thanks, again!