From:
<[log in to unmask]> (James Kenny)
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 96 7:38:53 PST
Hi There!

At Merix we have been offering Entek 106A to our customers for two and half
years. During this time OSP's have been gaining ground on HASL in terms of
percentage of through-put. Use of the coating provides advantages to both the
fabricator and the assembler. Some of the obvious advantages to assemblers
include are flater pads, (.25-.5 micron thickness), no limitations on fine
pitch clearing, small hole clearing and greater solder joint strength.
Advantages to the fabricator include lower operating costs, little or no
rejects/rework, reduced safety hazard and the process is more environmentally
friendly. OSP's will work for the vast majority of circuit boards, but as
always the surface finish should fit the assembly process and end use of the
board.
Below is a contact person at Enthone who can provide interested parties with
technical papers and expertise on this surface finish no matter which company
is providing the OSP coating.

Joe DeBiase
Enthone-OMI Inc.
P.O. Box 1900