TECHNET Archives

May 2003

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 11:40:22 EDT
Hi Yannick,

I have little trick I've learned with the AirVac PCBRM-12 that I have here,
and can be used with any solder fountain. You can remove most, if not all
solder from the holes without needing to use a solder extractor.

The AirVac does have a device that will blow compressed air over the location
of the part you're removing to clear the solder, but you need to have the
rubber boot that goes over the end of the tube that matches the size of the
part to use that method.

I've run across some parts that I had to rework, and I didn't have the proper
sized boot. I first remove the part, then place the location back over the
solder fountain filling all the holes and ensure that all the solder is
liquid in all holes. I them remove the board from the fountain and quickly
tap it. The solder will drop out of most of the holes, with a little practice
you can clear all the holes.

Solder extractors can be notorious for lifting pads if not used properly by
skilled operators. When an extractor has to be used, you don't want to
extract the solder from holes right next to each other, one right after
another. Do one hole, and then go to another hole that is a good distance
away from the hole you just worked on. This keeps the heat from building-up
to the point where a pad is easily lifted.

-Steve Gregory-