Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 96 08:27:10 +0100
Assy: (30 lines)
Hi all,

A colleague of mine had spoken with our soldering tin contractor about
cleaning the solder pot. We had a theory that dross is floating beneath
the surface but not at the bottom of the solder pot. The question was in
how get them out. The contractors chemist had a theory which he had not
tried himself but recommended it. He said: "Make somekind of skewer to
attach four potatos in a row. The moisture in the potato will evaporate
in the solder pot and make small bubbles which will push up the dross
from the pot". We tried it and god(!!) what a reaction. We let them stay
in the pot for about half an hour and sure got up some dross. WOW! The
whole solderpot surface was covered by it. So now i'm wondering, does
organic stuff like potato leave anything in the pot which will affect
the quality in any way?? Has anyone tried anything similar? (probably
not!) Dave, SIRguru any comments?

/Jan Merstrand