Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 95 16:59: 7 CST
I would greatly appreciate any input regarding changing from
HASL to OSP.  We assemble heavy copper boards and are
experiencing difficulties as we move to 0805 chip packages.  We
are comtemplating changing to OSP to alleviate some of the
pain.  I would appreciate any info regarding process changes we
may have to make (pad design, pre-heat, flux application
method, etc).  A typical application is 4 layer board with 2
oz. internals and 2 oz. externals plated to 3 oz.  Three
thermal cycles (top side reflow, bottom side epoxy cure, and
wave solder).  SOIC and SOT-23 on top, 0805 on bottom, plus
through hole components.  No-clean paste and wave solder flux,
wave flux applied by foaming on most machines but spray fluxer
also available.  Assemblies have high thermal mass (large
magnetics and heatsinks).  Thanks for your help.

Pat Bailey
Zytec Corporation
phone 507 637-2966 x355
fax 507 644-3720