From:
"Andrew Buonviri"<[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 13:46:56 -0400

  Along the same lines as Jerry Cupples' inquiry about alternatives to
  jumper/shunt setups for configuring boards:

  Does anyone know of an easy way to do it without using thru-hole
  components, and something that a customer could manipulate as well? Like
  a surface mount jumper I guess. Does anyone manufacture them, and have
  any of you used them?

  One possible answer to your problem, Jerry, might be to cut the headers
  once the test procedure is complete. We do that on some of our boards:
  use a header to program a part and then clip the pins so that they don't
  violate a height spec we design to. Of course our production is rather
  limited, and hand-cutting the pins is not a huge deal...

  Andy B