From:
"Thad McMillan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 07 Aug 95 16:22:48 CST
     I have also be observing the job posting that have from time to time
     appear on the technet.  Your concerns are valid.  My personal opinion
     is that there is nothing wrong with job postings, but I would prefer
     that the IPC set up a separate Job posting board.  Employer concerns
     aside I'd prefer that technet discussions be oriented on technical
     problems, not want adds.

     Regardless as to whether it is done separate or not, in current times
     I do not think that it will be possible to for a shop to isolate their
     engineers from this forum, even if you they want to.

     Anyone with a PC and a modem, for ~$10/month can from home subscribe
     to an on-line service like Compuserve, AOL, or Prodigy and get a
     E-Mail address.  With an E-Mail address anyone can subscribe to the
     technet forum.  In addition they can tie into the Internet's other
     resources which include major job posting & job search  resources.

     Even if the IPC discontinued the forum, someone somewhere would set up
     their own forum that anyone could subscribe to.  This would be a pity,
     because the IPC is the best place for this.

     All of this is a result of the emerging phenomena of the Internet.  In
     the past we had groups of technical "experts" in various companies.
     The "experts" generally kept within their company, with little
     interaction to other companies.  Consider the "interaction" of the IPC
     committees and meetings.  These typically involved only a small
     percentage of the total technical community.  Think of how many people
     you sent to the last IPC annual meeting vs how many interested
     engineers you had.

     Today this is rapidly changing.  The technical "experts" can now
     freely communicate to their peers in other companies.  The isolated
     groups of engineers that work PCB/PCA related technical issues are
     evolving into a much larger worldwide community of engineers.  They
     can compare notes on process, problems, even things such as working
     conditions and salaries.

     Human Resource folks from various companies are beginning to realize
     this also.  Using the internet to pursue these experts has just begun.
     Several major PCB companies have already set up Worldwide Web home
     pages on the internet that include sections on job opportunities.  I
     would expect to see much more Job traffic on the technet, unless an
     alternative is provided.

     My two cents.

     Regards,

     or

     [log in to unmask]  (my personal American Online address)