From:
"Frank Kurisu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 96 02:45:42 UT
Dear Mike,

While I am not sure of silver finishes in Japan I do know that Alpha Metals
has a process call AlphaLEVEL which was developed Europe.  AlphaLEVEL is an
Immersion Silver which is processed in a horizontal conveyorized line.  The
surface finish is a bright Silver, which is FLAT, highly solderable and wire
bondable.

Currently there are three or four locations in the UK / Europe which have
installed this process line.  Also there is one location in USA, Japan and one
starting up in Taiwan later this month.

Testing has shown that the Silver finish can be electrically tested.  100
boards were electrically tested, run through the AlphaLEVEL process and
electrically tested again, testing results were the same.

Costs is slightly higher that HASL but less expensive that Electroless Nickel
and Immersion Gold.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Best Regards,

Frank Kurisu
SolderMask, Inc..