Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 1996 17:29:42 -0500
Victor,

You've already had some responses as to some of your questions, but I'd like
to add a few things.

- Flex circuits are usually built on ether polyimide(amber in color) or
polyester (normally clear or white).  Polyimide can withstand high
temperatures and can survive SMT processing with few difficulties.
 Polyester, however, is a much cheaper base material, but it is very
difficult to for it to survive the SMT processing.  If you need specific
information on SMT on flex processing let me know.  I'd be happy to put you
in contact with a person with very specific knowledge in this area.

When it comes to folding flex circuits (called "flex to install") your right.
 Polaroid has used flex circuits for near 20 years.  Cell phones used to use
flex circuits (and still may) but most mega-producers of cell phones have
standardized on rigid boards.  More recently "flex to install" is very
popular in automotive electronics.

Scott Griggs