TECHNET Archives

October 2003

From:
Kathy Kuhlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:43:36 -0500
Assuming you have sufficient historical data supporting the reduced inspection you could look at a couple of types of skip or reduced inspections.  I have two different sampling methods we use.  One is based off of the old MIL-105 because I agree with the validity of the OC curves in the manual but then I have the sample revert to a C=0 for non-conformances.  I don't agree with knowing that the sample will allow issues into the product and the associated risks.  The other system used is inspection AQL and lot sizes being dependent on the last inspection result.  So if the product was accepted at 100% then the next inspection might be utilizing the MIL-105 sample based but at a 1.5 AQL if that lot is accepted then the next inspection might change to a 2.5 AQL.  But the moment a non-conformance is found the inspection plan restarts at 100%.  That way your sampling starts focusing on repeated high rejects and lets the product with consistent quality through the process without putting excessive inspection labor for no gains.  We also the have the time to focus on any issue and really drive corrective action and compliance verification.

I have implemented skip lot inspections at a previous life.  We inspected only every 10 lots.  The system seemed to be a nightmare to manager if you have many inspectors or multiple locations that inspections of the same part can take place.  We had 11 division that could use any of the parts and three main inspection areas for the divisions.  It as a nightmare at times to coordinate all three locations with real time data and inspection results/ tallies.

Kat