TECHNET Archives

June 2003

From:
Charlie McMahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:06:41 -0400
Steve:

If I may suggest a two pronged attack....

As one experienced in  QT and production boards, I have found no loss of
turn around capability due to ISO. High end process control is what it
is afterall and
should result in high yield (low waste) performance when adhered to.

(1)  Clearly, I suggest ASAP DFM as quickly as the design allows is of
utmost importance.

(2) I am a believer in the Deming Principals of Co-Operative Engineering.
That is....at the proto-type stage, involve the PCB fabrication
supplier, assembly engineering, test AND service to design in the best
value.
The result is a quicker to market design.

With designs demanding  leading edge capability, there should be NO
EXCUSE ffrom qulaity suppliers to cut corners due to a board being
proto-typed.
The benefit is that in fact when the proto is built...it will reflect
the production quality as well therefore negating re-engineering.

This is what the Industry has evolved to out of customer demand in my
view. And let's be frank, as the industry continues its writhing is it
not true that customers are using ISO as a litmus test for building
product?

Customers deserve nothing less Steve, reagardless of the quantity.

Charlie McMahon