From:
[log in to unmask] (Mary Davis)
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 17:39:24 -0600

In J-STD-001A, Appendix D, Paragraph D-4.3 Level 2 tests, the following
statement is made:

"These tests are based on the IPC Cleaning and Cleanliness Test Protocol,
Phase 3, Water Soluble Fluxes, Part II, IPC-B-36 Testing."

Is there an IPC document number for this referenced document or test
report?  Where can I get a copy?

I'd like to learn more about the background of level two testing.  I
don't know if I am alone, but I find the description of level 2 tests in
Appendix D hard to follow, especially with respect to pre-test
preparation steps for PTH and manual soldering technology -  steps which
prepare the IPC-B-36 SMT test vehicle for PTH or manual soldering tests.
  Somehow these pre-test preparation steps all fit in with the pre-test
preparation procedures outlined in IPC-TR-580 but the text is confusing.

I assume that controls, irrespective of soldering technology, are just
pre-cleaned bare boards. Is this correct?  Appendix D states that control
boards shall not be processed beyond pre-test preparation.  The pre-test
preparations for PTH and manual soldering include mounting of components.
  Appendix D also states components shall not be mounted on control
assemblies.

A picture is worth a thousand words - and in this case Appendix D would
be much simpler to follow if it included  flow diagrams showing the
preparation and processing steps for each soldering technology and for
the control boards.

I notice that J-STD-001A Appendix D requires SIR testing on uncoated
assemblies while MIL-STD-2000A Appendix D requires SIR testing on
conformally coated assemblies.  Why the difference?  Which approach makes
the most sense if your goal is to verify a process which includes
conformal coating?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mary Davis
Sr. Material & Process Engineer