TECHNET Archives

January 2005

From:
Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
TechNet E-Mail Forum <[log in to unmask]>, Graham Naisbitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:47:11 +0000
Alistair

Following on from Brian's input, the purpose of this test standard is to
provide uniform and repeatable measurement results that may be compared from
site to site. It is intended to measure the robustness of the surface finish
under test, it is not intended to test your flux solderability. (It might be
used in this way, but that is not the intention) For that reason there are
now 3 standard fluxes:

SMNA
Actiec 2
Actiec 5

These are now actually explained in the latest standards releases.

Changing the test flux takes you outside the standard, so what would you
then be measuring?

Also, using some form of fume extraction is not as straightforward as you
might imagine. The measurement device is making minute force measurements
and any minor disturbance such as air flow and vibration will disturb your
tests.

The best solution I can give is to equip the operator with suitable
breathing apparatus.
--
Regards Graham Naisbitt

Golf quote of the week: Columbus went around the world in 1492. That isn't a
lot of strokes when you consider the course.

Concoat Limited - Engineering Reliability in Electronics
A British Manufacturer

NEW WEB SITE: www.concoat.co.uk :NEW WEB SITE

Cell: 079 6858 2121
Office: +44 (0)1252 813706