TECHNET Archives

June 1997

From:
Paul Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 22:21:30 +0100
Denis Meloche wrote:-
>Does anyone have information on how to repair gold edge connectors which
>have solder on them?  I remember a product or service from the late 70's or
>early 80's which purported to fix this.  Can anyone shed some light on the
>subject?  I have seen the defect repaired by reflowing with Au80/Sn20 but I
>am unsure of the long term reliability of this method.
>Thanks,
Hi Denis,

A repair system comprising a small rectifier and plating pen is the best
answer. The tin lead will have to be stripped chemically or mechanically
and the affected contacts re-plated. You will need to mask the contacts
with a suitable tape, strip the tin-lead, then make the contact cathodic
while plating with the anodic pen and swab containing the gold solution.
Sound preparation is critical to getting good adhesion and the plating
repair system should come complete with solutions and instructions to do
this. It is not as difficult as it sounds. Don't forget to check the
adhesion of the gold with a tape test.

Oddly enough, I had a visit from a supplier last week and one of their
products was just such a system. If you are unable to locate a supplier,
email me and I will be happy to give you the details.
--
Paul Gould
Teknacron Circuits Ltd