TECHNET Archives

October 2002

From:
Tim Reeves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:04:24 -0700
I did not intend to cause alarm. I was basically not serious, but I did err.
 I am not afraid of potassium or chlorides and know that they are essential to life, as is cobalt, chromium, and other elements which in excess can cause harm. I am BTW also against the lead-free electronics hysteria. I know that people get unnecessarily concerned about the effects of chemicals when they read reports. I trust that TechNet members are not as alarmist as the general population.
I truthfully admit the mistake I made was that I thought potassium cyanide was used for lethal injection not KCl, and thought the news story got it wrong. Having had the mechanism pointed out to me, understand what is going on with potassium and the heart. Unfortunately, I know more than I wish to about heart function, as my son died from heart failure while awaiting a heart transplant.