From:
<[log in to unmask]> (James Kenny)
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 96 12:01:37 PST
First thing that comes to my mind is copper thickness of the through holes.
Extended dwell times will increase the amount of copper etched by the molten
solder. The amount of etch per second of dwell time will vary from HASL line
to HASL line. Some vertical lines have a localized turbulent zone which can
quickly etch the copper plating reducing the overall plating thickness. Most
horizontal lines have a more even distribution of solder flow. The fabricator
should have an idea the amount of etch, for a given dwell time, their
equipment produces.
I am sure there are many other factors, but this one came to mind first for
me.

Jim Kenny
Merix Corp
503-359-9300