From:
[log in to unmask] (Al Slagle)
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 95 15:14:49 MDT
OK, I give up... So what good are all these test coupons for anyway?

We seem to go to great lengths to include a test coupon into each and every PCB
design we release. But we never, ever hear anything pro or con about them.

So many questions can be raised... here are a few:

1. Who uses them? and where do they go?
   I suspect they are secretly being archived at "AREA 51".

2. Do they keep a pwb from being inadequately etched?
   I don't think so. A badly etched board will have a badly etched coupon.

3. So you look at the coupon and sure enough "bad etch". Who does this help?
   All it can possible prove is that a particular batch has problems.

4. So you look at a coupon, it looks ok and the board still has etch problems?
   This would not seem possible, and only raise more questions.

5. So do I start removing internal pads from my Test Coupons???
   You see guys, it does all tie together.

6. If destructive test on coupons is not performed immediately upon receipt,
   then the whole process is useless. Right?

7. It makes no sense to use them only as evidence against the fab shops.

Quote for the day:
A perfectly etched pad would indeed be an immaculate connection!