TECHNET Archives

December 2001

From:
David Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2001 12:45:57 -0500
Calvin,

Nortel Networks and (I believe) Peavey used Unicad PCB design software - do you have any contacts at either of these companies?
You may also try Solectron or Sanmina, as they purchased much of the design infrastructure from Nortel.

A personal opinion, having used both Unicad and translating designs, is that you'd be better off translating your designs and
cleaning them up.  If you use Allegro as a layout tool, Cadence should be able to assist you with translations.

Dave Schaefer                          Voice: (204)478-8059
Senior PCB Designer                 FAX:  (204)942-3001
Symbol Technologies                Email: [log in to unmask]
1000 Waverley Street
Winnipeg, MB  R3T 0P3

>>> [log in to unmask] 12/04/01 10:59AM >>>

We have acquired a bunch of PCB designs which were done in Unicad. Cadence bought Unicad but no longer markets or supports it. RSI's translator is an option but I don't like translations; never had much luck with them. Editting gerbers is another option but not preferred. We'd like to be able to maintain the master designs.
Anybody have a version of Unicad they want to unload (sell), preferably with the license? Or know of somewhere else to get Unicad? Or have any other suggestions?
Thanks for the assistance.

              \\\|///
              ( 0 0 )
+---------oOOO--(_)--OOOo---------+