From:
"Walker, Don" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 96 09:27:49

Vic,
     Well, from a designers perpective, the answer is no.  There are
usually so many other prioraties in the component placement such as
trace length, noise, EMI, etc., which determine functionality that
thermal mass considerations just don't come into play.
     The only time we might look at thermal mass was if we were having
huge problems in assembly which could not be solved any other way.  And
even then, we would look at doing the least modification possible to
make it work.

This has been one designers viewpoint.
Don Walker