Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 96 15:33:14 -0700
BGAs (42 lines)

Andy,

I'm afraid you may be in for problems.  We designed a 43mm x 43mm ceramic BGA
w/1089 balls and tested it on FR-4 and if failed fairly early in it thermal
cycling.  So the vendor said to use solder columns instead of balls.  That also
failed rather early.  So the vendor said to use longer solder columns.  That
also failed and was expensive as well as difficult to assemble.

So we tried a controlled CTE material like DuPonts thermount.  That worked but
the thermal life was not as high as we wanted in order to have some insurance.
Last solution is a ceramic pad grid array (gold) in a socket.  That works and is
field replaceable.  No literature has been published that I know of.

Happy Holden
HP Printed Circuit Operation-Ft. Collins,CO