TECHNET Archives

October 1999

From:
Franklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:44:24 -0500
Rick,

I've been in the fabrication industry for 1.5 years. I've read just about every magazine, book, article, journal, etc as it relates to fabrication.

I must have come across references to baking reducing life and reliability well over 75 times, at least.

Plus discussions with others in this industry, they substantiate this.

There is lot's of data to support that fact, let me know if you have the desire to read some of the data I have.

Here's something to consider, what would repeated baking to  such everyday items such as:
    a.. Wood, your house, your boat, your patio and furniture
    b.. Steel and other metals
    c.. Your body!
    d.. Your car, or car interior
    e.. Your boat, hmmm, it's made of a similar material
    f.. Your cat or dog
    g.. or practically anything else imaginable besides ceramics of course
I think baking most everything we come across has adverse affects on it. Why would boards differ from this?

Regards,

Franklin D Asbell
Network Circuits, Inc.
Irving, Texas

Alain,
I have been in board fab AND assembly for quite some time and have never
heard baking reduces the life and reliability. What data do you have to
substantiate this claim?
Rick Howieson