TECHNET Archives

February 2001

From:
Jack Crawford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:19:35 -0600
It's come into our system today, but we don't use MS Outlook and our antivirus was up to date so we escaped.  Company "upstairs" went to 9,000 msgs in a couple of hours before they shut down their mail. Jack

Anna virus rushes the Net
By Robert Lemos
Special to CNET News.com
February 12, 2001, 11:30 a.m. PT
update
A virus posing as a photo of Russian tennis player Anna Kournikova spread aggressively on Monday, as major security companies rushed to update their antivirus software to detect the fast-spreading e-mail virus.

"Compared to the 'Love Bug', it's spreading twice as fast," said Alex Shipp, antivirus technologist with British e-mail service MessageLabs. In the five hours since MessageLabs detected the infection, its users have received almost 2,900 copies of the infected e-mail sent from more than 290 different domains.

Also known as VBS/SST, the virus initially poses as an attachment--AnnaKournikova.jpg.vbs--included in a message with one of three similar subject lines: "Here you are ;-)," "here you have ;o)" and "here you go ;-)."