From:
Jim Moffit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 10:11:21 -0500
The problem is not the deposition of gold, but rather how much of the
deposited gold is leached off into the resultant connection.  Typical
depositon thickness values run from 30 to 100 micro inches.  Old Mil-Spec
requirements were from 50 to 100 u-in. of gold and they required the parts
to be tinned prior to use (they also admonished contractors to double-tin
the parts if deposition thickness exceeded 100).  Anyway, the problem of
course is the percent of gold that is wicked from the component termination
into the connection.  That is a variable which is controlled by process
parameters such as: deposition thickness, flux activity, solder volume,
duration of solder in liquidus state, etc.  The second and perhaps more
important question is, how important is the elasticity of the solder
connection.  Are you assembling Class 3 (Hi-Rel) equipment with a
component/pwb Tce differential of greater than 6-8 ppm/Deg C, if so you have
a need for "good" connections (e.g. gold < 2%), or are you assembling Class
1 (consumer electronics) with a Tce differential of greater than 8 ppm/Deg.
C.  Re a study, the Tin Institute (Branch in Ohio I think) has studied this
problem in the distant past (in addressing the effect of various
contaminates in solder connections) and probably has a report available, but
I don't have their address readily available.   Regards, Jim Moffitt