TECHNET Archives

May 2002

From:
Earl Moon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 May 2002 23:52:33 -0500
Jeez Steve,

Didn't know you knew farming so well. Must be that NC upbringing. I spent a
year on my grand daddy's pretty big farm way back in my 3rd grade. Really
saw farming up close and in person with my uncle's approach to a then non
science as he used a mule and a single plow to do 40 acres in about 2 days.

I stay, when in the mid-west, on my best friends plot out in Michigan.
Amazing how people there have "tamed" the land by eliminating what
essentially always have been swamps. The whole state really is underwater
but constantly being drained as it has been for hundreds of years - much
like Florida.

Farming technology in MI ranges from endless weekend lawn mowing by
"gentlemen" farmers having bought way too much land, while working for auto
makers, and brand new Ford tractors, costing way more than their "duelies,"
with all the options - to serious folks trying to stay alive in the
agribusiness on small plots. All the while, the small farmer goes under,
their land goes up for sale to developers, gentlemen farmers move in, and/or
larger operations buy them out.

As I travel constantly, it seems, over this land, it amazes me the
technology of which you speak Steve. It certainly would amaze the old Roman
folks practicing latifunda (huge government supervised farms, for lack of
better terms) just as it does me. The tractors are imense and the things
they tow to effect soil conservation and enrichment are equally amazing, and
new stuff is apparent each time I venture out cross country to my next job.

Still, I have to wonder how we can get so much stuff in a cell phone or new
avionics package and not do well with modern farm or other off road
equipment. I just don't understand why we can design, package, and identify
parts in all these technical marvels and not be able to do it in huge pieces
of farm equipment (no criticism intended - just wondering). Another thing
bothers me. What about test points? Is there any room for them?

Earl