From:
Mike Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jan 96 8:45:20 -0500
There seems to be increased information available regarding enabling
technologies of alternative methods of small via formation such as SCL,
DYCOstrate etc.  It would seem that any forward thinking PCB manufacturer
would keep a watchful eye on these developments.

This technology in one form or another appears to offer the promise of
increasing PCB interconnect density.

I would like to know more about it's state of maturity.

I understand, and am not surprised, that the effort and learning curves
are lengthy.  It appears to be prohibitive, both in terms of available
resources and capital equipment requirements, for the average PCB
facility engaged in basically conventional technology.

Having never seen a defined customer requirement for this technology, or
frankly, not having been approached with the concept, I am wondering who
will be the technology drivers?  Large OEM captives and Independents?

How would an independent PCB facility exploit this technology?  It seems
like the chicken and the egg syndrome.  Do you proactively  forecast for
it's development / acquisition and wait for the customer base, or be
passive until it's generally accepted and hope for the best?

Will everyone pursue their own course?

Any estimate of a realistic time frame for acceptance?

Any comments?

Michael Bailey
Director of Engineering
McCurdy Circuits Inc.