TECHNET Archives

September 2002

Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:24:41 -0600
Hi Steve,

You are correct, 2% silver does have a small pasty range.  This alleviates
the problem of paste becoming liquid at different times on either side of
the 0402.  While one side of the 0402 may become fully liquid, the other
side will at least be partially liquid, thereby giving it some surface
tension to resist the pull of surface tension on the fully liquid side.
Another source of tombstones is a difference in wetting speeds from one side
of the component to the other.  A pasty range alloy will act like the pace
car at the Indy 500.  It will allow some wetting during the pasty range
before going full throttle when fully liquid.  This helps prevents solder on
one side of the component from grossly out racing the other side when
wetting the termination and pad.

Panasonic has also done thorough testing on tombstoning on 0402's.  They
likewise found a enormous reduction in tombstones when using the 2% silver
solder.

Ryan Grant