TECHNET Archives

April 2002

From:
Ted Stern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 10:47:26 -0500
Steve:

Another potential source of "residue"  on copper surfaces during dry
film stripping is absorption of oils - often attributable to antifoam
and/or excess use of antifoam.
Because copper  is very oleophilic, minimal contamination may be
problematic (including fingerprints) and can contribute to a variety of
post strip processing problems; incomplete final etching ("copper
spots") being one of the more common defects.  The methods suggested by
Rudy would detect this problem.

As a severe (and unusual) example of oil contamination, we once
encountered a customer employing compressed air agitation to dislodge
accumulated dry film particulate in the corners of the dry film stripper
spray sump.  The air was introduced when the line was idle  to improve
continuous dry film particulate filtration.   The customer had been
employing the process for quite some time when random copper spots began
to be observed.  If the stripper was replaced, the problem disappeared;
only to reoccur in 1-2 days.  To make a long story short, it was
determined (after eliminating anti-foam, checking for tin in the bath
and on panels, addressing copper oxidation, examining rinse water
quality, dry film leaching in the alkaline etch, etc.) a leaking seal in
the air compressor was contaminating the stripper sump with minute
volumes of oil, but enough to contaminate the copper surface and inhibit
alkaline etching.

Regards,
Ted