From:
"Jeff Seeger" <simon.ipc.org!bort.mv.net!rapidcad!jseeger>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 96 16:33:54 EDT

	Hello, Technet!

	A question for the fabrication planning/engineering/CAM folks:

	Over the years we've all seen the proliferation of drill sizes
	as products become more complex.  To this day, we in design have
	attempted to optimize the number of drill sizes.  I am wondering
	if this step is still appropriate or appreciated?

	There are cases where Library management would become noticably
	simpler, and our throughput could improve, if we could be blind
	(sorry) to the quantity of drill sizes.  The step of reconciling
	drills on a complex PWB can take appreciable time, with the assoc-
	iated thermal relief/anti-pad/drc steps added in.

	Similarly, what's preferable when one has a tight-tolerance (ie press-
	fit) hole size, with other componentry using the same size.  We
	normally isolate these cases as seperate callouts, for limiting
	potential acceptance problems.  Is there a quantity threshold
	to this question?

	I have heard this level of concern called "redundant", as the fab-
	rication setup will combine as needed to suit each individual case.
	Is this automated in CAM equipment, and therefore the effective
	home for this task?

	What's the design world giving you these days?  Is this one of the
	areas where "minimalist design" shaves a corner that the end-user
	doesn't see?  (are we being too anal for our own efficiency?)

	TIA, hope I'm not opening too large a can for my apetite!

	Best Regards,

        Jeff Seeger                             Applied CAD Knowledge Inc
        Chief Technical Officer                      Tyngsboro, MA  01879
        [log in to unmask]                               508 649 9800