TECHNET Archives

November 2000

From:
Lee Whiteman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:59:29 -0500
David and Guenter,

Let me add my $ 0.02 worth...

Not to confuse things, but according to the JEDEC Test Method, JESD22-A104-A
Temperature Cycling, in Section 3.1 Timing:

  The total transfer time from hot to cold or from cold to hot shall not
exceed 1 minute. The load may be transferred when the worst case load
temperature is within the limits specified in Table 1 - Temperature Cycling
Test Conditions. However, the dwell time shall not be less than 10 minutes,
and the load shall reach the specified temperature within 15 minutes.

MIL-STD 883E, Test Method 1010.7 Temperature Cycling, reads the same as the
JEDEC Test Method. My interpretation is that as long as the assembly being
tested reaches the specified temperature within 15 minutes of transfer from
one temperature extreme to another, then the test is valid.

Of course, if you really want to stress the hardware, you may want to
consider using the JEDEC Test Method, JESD22-A106-A Thermal Shock,  in
Section 3.1 Timing:

  The total transfer time from hot to cold or from cold to hot shall not
exceed 10 seconds. The load may be transferred when the worst case load
temperature is within the limits specified in Table 1 - Thermal Shock
Temperature Tolerances and Suggested Fluids. However, the dwell time shall
not be less than 2 minutes, and the load shall reach the specified
temperature within 5 minutes.

MIL-STD 883E, Test Method 1011.9 Thermal Shock, reads the same as the JEDEC
Test Method.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Good Luck.

Lee Whiteman