From:
[log in to unmask] (MR DAVID E MANDER)
Date:
Tue, 05 Sep 1995 17:28:45 EDT
Mr. Tryzbiak,
   Sorry for the delay in this reply, but here are the answers you
were looking for with regards to your drilling scenario.  We are the
Pluritec representatives in the southeast, and have one of the best
CNC service engineers on staff.  We also maintain a service center
repairing spindles, servo motors, lead screws, etc.
   Your example was a 6 layer PCMCIA board with half ounce copper
inside, 16 mils thick, with 20 mil pads.  Using a 10 mil drill bit,
these are the responses to your inquiry:
     1. Drill height should be .020" above the entry material, with a
feed rate of 70 ipm, spindle speed of 100k rpm
     2. No drill breakage should occur during one table load.
Penetration into the back-up material will be the major factor for
breakage.
     3. The ideal flute length should be .01" greater than the stack
height + entry + back-up penetration
     4. The retract rate should definitely be lower, a good starting
point would be 300-400 ipm.
     5. How far you drill into the back-up will depend on the
flatness of the table. The minimum should be achieved, .010" would be
sufficient.  If flatness varies by .005", this will need compensation
by splitting the difference and over-penetrating.
     6. No specific brand of back-up or entry is needed, but a hard
phenolic back-up and .007"-.010" aluminum entry should be used.
     7. Entry material is used and necessary for registration and
wear properties.
     8. Drill wander or splay should be minimum if not almost
undetectable. If drill wander is detected with a .008" or .010" drill
bit, breakage will soon follow. A good guess for tolerance would be
no more than .0003".

I hope this answers all your questions. If you need more specific
information, do not hesitate to call me direct at Sun Coast Supply (1-
800-264-1250).

David Mander
Sun Coast Supply