TECHNET Archives

December 2002

From:
Steve Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 20:02:08 EST
Hi David,

I must agree with you. We are about to embark on assembling a 16-layer, .062"
thick, VME card. That has been re-designed from a commercial card to a
"ruggedized" COTS card. The assembly has 17 BGA's, some are ceramic BGA's
with high-temp balls, and a few with eutectic balls...there are BGA's on both
sides of this board...none are "mirrored" though...and that's a good thing.

We've been having meetings on manufacturability issues with assembly (this is
not going to be easy), and the biggest thing that I've tried to stress, is
that it has to be built right from the beginning...rework should not be an
option.

But we have heard from our customer, that historically, 20% of the PowerPC
processors on this assembly have needed to be replaced (there's 4 of these on
the board). I don't know if the processors are dead, or if it because of a
manufacturing defect, but they say in the past, that's what the rework
percentage has been.

I'm absolutely freaking out about this!!! Especially when you see the density
of this board...

From my own personal point of view, I think COTS needs to be re-thought...too
many risks.

-Steve Gregory-