From:
brendan mccormack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 1995 15:47:30 +0100 (WET DST)

Hi there,

I am looking for some information on the allowable temperature profile for
standard through hole mount components (axial, radial, DIP, etc.) during
the glue cure process.

These parts are auto-inserted first and then side 2 SMT components are
onserted in glue.  Obviously the through hole components must pass through
the glue cure oven - 3 minute profile with max board temp of about 125 C for
example.

Most of the component data sheets refer to top of board wave soldering
conditions - 220 for 5 seconds etc.  But what about longer exposure to
slightly lower temperatures?

We have seen some problems with components during this cure cycle and the
way around it has been to insert these manually after cure or hand solder
after wave.  But what about the problems we can't see?  Is there any
adverse effect on the component reliability?

Any help/comments/info would be much appreciated !

Thanks in advance.

Brendan Mc Cormack
Electronics Manufacturing Engineer
AMT Ireland