From:
JON MOORE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 09:57:06 -0500
Hi Folks!
    I tend to agree with Dave.  The moisture in the potatoes is
most likely causing the dross and not pushing any existing
dross to the surface.  I have seen instances where a fairly
significant amount of dross was circulating up through the
solder wave and forming inclusions in the solder joints.  The
cause was an area of turbulence on the solder surface
adjacent to the impeller shaft.  As that turbulence caused
small pieces of dross to submerge, the down draft of the
impeller sometimes caught those pieces and circulated them
through the solder chimney and nozzles.

Jon Moore
TRW
Marshall , IL

>>> ddhillma <[log in to unmask]> 12/13/96
09:46am >>>
     Good Morning Jan!

     Wow! Well I'm glad you tried it because I'm too chicken!
The first
     rule they taught us in metallurgy school is that molten
metal and
     water is a BAD combination. I would be a bit leery of the
moisture in
     a potato initiating an explosion. Dross is typically oxides
and other
     contaminates that are less dense than the solder alloy
itself and so
     dross floats on the surface of a solder pot. Because of
this density
     difference dross shouldn't be throughout your solder pot
unless the
     wave pumping action pulls some around. Dross is also
very abrasive so
     the wave solder equipment manufacturers don't want
dross anywhere but
     at the top of the solder pot. There are chemical additives
that can be
     used to "de-dross" a solder pot but I don't think they are
potato
     based. My guess is that all the dross that accumulated in
the half
     hour was generated because of the potatoes themselves.
Sometimes dross
     sinks just below the surface of a solder pot because it's
not pure
     dross - it contains small chunks of solder thus making it
heavier.
     Maybe the TechNet chemists can help out.

     Dave Hillman
     Rockwell Collins