TECHNET Archives

December 2001

From:
Sean Clinton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:55:22 -0800
Greg,

The other down side to the peroxide approach, aside from the consumption
volume difference and stability of the peroxide itself, is that if you
overdose the system with peroxide, large amounts of chlorine gas will be
evolved...a dangerous proposition.

The balanced reaction is:
H2O2 + 2HCL + Cu --> CuCl2 + 2H2O

Excess peroxide will react with free HCl acid to create water and free
chlorine gas: (1:2 mole ratio)
(H2O2 + 2HCl --> 2H2O +Cl2)

So an excess peroxide reaction is:
2H2O2 + 4HCl + Cu --> CuCl2 + 4H2O + Cl2

Sorry about the font layout...I can't do subscripts in Eudora.