From:
Carlsson Per <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 95 12:26:00 MET

Regarding pores in Au-platings for cardege contacts

David

My name is Per Carlsson and working at the Swedish Institute for Production
Engineering
Research. I have  worked with a project there we evaluated the Commercially
available
Gold-Plated Printed Circuit Boards. In this project we analyzed porosity and
correlate it with the
solderability. To our surprise we did not found any correlation. In your
case you asked about
porosity on card edge contacts and  I don?t think there is any straight
answer on this question. I
suppose that it is thicker electrodeposited gold you talk about and your
demand on the gold is that
it should give you a good electrical contact and a good corrosion
protection. If this is your
requirement it is really a question about the environmental load your
equipment will experience
during service life. If the environment is corrosive, pores in the gold
layer will lead to oxidation
of the nickel and it could result in contact failure. In this case will the
acceptance limits be very
low. If you are interested in this matter there is a little handbook about
corrosion of electronics
that could give you more information. "Corrosion of Electronics" Published
by The Swedish
Corrosion Institute Bulletine 102. (Fax +46 8 16 72 70). If you are
interested in solderability
of  Gold-Plate PWBs, we start a project about this matter in December.

Regards

Per Carlsson
IVF/EP
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

     There are plating specifications and test methods for gold over nickel
plating on printed circuit board edge connectors. Verifying plating
thickness is straight forward but what pass/fail criteria are used in the
industry for porosity of gold over nickel? How many pores per CM*CM are
allowed?
     Any sources of information/specifications would be appreciated.
*  David Hamilton               Ph:    334-283-7377
*  Manager of Electronics       FAX:   334-283-7293
*  Schlumberger Water Division  Email: [log in to unmask]
*  Hwy 229 South
*  Tallassee, Al. 36078