From:
[log in to unmask] (Mary Davis)
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 13:13:26 -0600

Thought I would add my two cents on the subject.

We are on a steep learning curve with respect to plastic parts.  One of
several problems we encountered was dewetting at conformal coat. After
working the issue for a while, we have concluded that plastic parts are
inherently harder to wet than other parts and that some conformal coating
products are inherently better at wetting than others.  A formula to
predict wetting would be nice but we so far we have progressed by trial
and error.

The first coating that we tried was our
 'good-old-stand-by-coat-anything', single component, solvent based,
MIL-I-47058 UR.  Wetting was spotty and unpredictable.

We were also working with the manufacturer of our solvent based coating
to evaluate their line of UV cure, single component, 100% solids,
MIL-I-47058 coatings.  We tried their 100% solids coatings on the plastic
parts and had even less success. The dewetting of the plastic parts was a
text book example of 'crawling' or  'retraction'.  Wetting was good
everywhere except on the plastic parts.  Cleaning the plastic parts did
not improve wetting.

We then tried a Dymax product, a single component, 100% solids, UV cure,
acrylic copolymer (meets AR, ER, and UR.)  We had much better luck.  So
far this product coats plastic parts without a problem.  It seems very
robust with respect to plastic parts.

Wetting is a function of the surface tension of the liquid and the free
energy of the surface.  If I understand the physics, wetting will not
occur unless the surface tension of the liquid is less than the critical
free energy of the solid.   I assume that these parameters vary over a
wide range for the materials in question - but there is very little data
available.  Even without the mold release variable, plastic is a low
energy surface relative to metal and ceramic and, is therefore, more
difficult to wet. I assume that solvent in a conformal coating improves
wetting and, also, that the wetting characteristics of 100% solids
products are greatly affected by the selection of monomers.

Hope this information is of some help

Mary Davis
Sr. Material & Process Engineer
Alliant Techsystems