Date:
<<At first we had a few worries of contaminants in the plating baths
and we Carbon and peroxide treated one  bath and no improvement. There
were a few suggestions of having fungus in the brightner lines, as it
is automatically added based on an amphour meter.
All brightner lines were changes to eliminate this possibility.

<<The nodules seem to have shown up in all three baths apporximately the
same time.
     This is reminiscent of a problem that we have had periodically, that
     requires regular cleaning of the brightener lines: fungus.  The
     skeletons of the fungus will absorb acid, & plate up.  It is likely to
     hit & then fade away.

<<Questions:

<<1. Can a 5 second lag for hot loading be detrimental to copper
plating?
I don't know about nodules, but we have used it for a long time since
it promotes better adhesion.  It helps prevent ICD's.  Also, I don't
think you have "hot" loading if you have the 5 second lag.  I suggest
that you ramp the current after the delay, instead of a step up to full
current.

<<2. What results will we see on a Copper plated panel if the ripple in
the rectifier is excessive.
     I don't know.
     <<If you have any suggestions or need more info, please let me know.

     A few questions:

     1. Have you cross sectioned the nodules?  You may be surprised as to
     what you'll find.

     2. What size are the nodules?  10 mils?  Smaller?  Some data and
     sorting can help to pinpoint the issue.

     Matt Byrne