LEADFREE Archives

October 2005

Leadfree@IPC.ORG

From:
"James, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
(Leadfree Electronics Assembly Forum)
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:33:58 +0100
This another one of the EEC SnAfUs in failing to have consistency

through all similar directives. In contrast the End of Life Vehicle

Directive clearly states:

- a maximum concentration value up to 0,1 % by weight and per

homogeneous material, for lead, hexavalent chromium and mercury and up

to 0,01 % by weight per homogeneous material for cadmium shall be

tolerated, provided these substances are not intentionally introduced

(1),

Where footnote 1 says:

(1) 'Intentionally introduced' shall mean 'deliberately utilised in the

formulation of a material or component where its continued presence is

desired in the final product to provide a specific characteristic,

appearance or quality'.

The use of recycled materials as feedstock for the manufacture of new

products, where some portion of the recycled materials may contain

amounts of regulated metals, is not to be considered as intentionally

introduced.

This as everyone clearly points out is not in RoHS although I believe

many feel that to meet the spirit of the directive one should apply it

and possibly any ruling may take this line also (IMO). No doubt in some

future amendment the two directives will be brought in line, and I know

where I'd place my bet.

Do what you want but don't cry later.............

Regards,

Chris